Thursday, November 8, 2007

Chapter 41

Jon cradled Sara in his arms, his cheek pressed to the top of her head as he occasionally murmured soft endearments. She wasn’t crying, just stunned by Kay’s abusive message, and glad for the comfort of Jon’s embrace, relaxing against him. For his part, Jon was furious at Kay, but he was smart enough not to say a word, just holding Sara close and waiting until she broke the silence. After a time, Sara stirred, nestling closer as she spoke.

“I wonder what Richie said to her.”

“What, baby?” Jon stroked his hand down her back.

“Well, Kay said Richie stuck up for me. Wonder what he said.”

“I’d be more interested in what she said, that he had to stick up for you.”

“Mmm…..true. She sounded drunk, didn’t she?”

“Yeah, but that’s still no reason to let her away with what she said, babe.”

“Oh, I know, but I was just thinking. They always say that alcohol doesn’t actually change people, it just removes their inhibitions and lets their true self come through. Guess now I know how Kay really sees me, huh?”

“I just can’t see how you’ve stayed friends with her for so long.”

Sara sat up slightly, still wrapped in Jon’s arms, but looking up at him.

“Honestly? I’ve known Kay for a long time, and even though we don’t always see eye to eye, I guess I just tend to go along with what she wants. Anything for a quiet life, right? The other thing is - and this is the pathetic Sara speaking again - I, well, I don’t have many friends, so I don’t want to lose the few I do have. Now that I think of it, though, none of my other friends like Kay very much. It’s just easier to keep my mouth shut and go with the flow, rather than rock the boat and upset Kay.”

“Oh, Christ, baby - not like she worries about upsetting you, though, is it? Besides,” Jon drew her close to him again, pressing his lips to her hair, “You’ve got me, now, and I’m not letting you go.”

Sara gently rubbed her head against his chest. She could feel the heat of his body through his shirt, the fabric so fine that she was aware of the texture of the soft fur beneath, and she breathed deeply of his scent with a smile.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to let me go.” She told him, pushing herself upright again.

“Why?” He almost looked worried, and she gave him a cheeky smile.

“Because I can’t reach my coffee from here!”

Jon laughed and released her, and Sara stretched across to the table to pick up the cups, handing one to Jon as she took a sip from the other. Laying the cup down again, she raised her hands to her hair, searching out the hairpins by touch and pulling them out until her hair was freed from the chignon. Sara shook her head, and a mass of soft waves fell around her face, shrouding her neck and back, then she leaned forward and laid the pins on the coffee table, picking up her coffee again.

“God, you’re beautiful.” Jon murmured, and Sara chuckled softly.

“I wish you’d stop saying that.”

“Why? You are. Did I tell you I love your dress?” He grinned. “I love your underwear, too!”

Sara playfully pushed him, and Jon laughed as she replied.

“I like this dress, too, I’m just not sure about the top - it’s a bit…..” she tried to pull it together, to cover more of her breasts, but the padded top wouldn’t co-operate, “…it’s a bit revealing.”

“Yeah, that’d be what I like about it. The more of you I can see, the better.”

Turning to look at Jon, Sara suddenly made a pained face, reaching under her hair with one hand.

“What’s up?”

“My earrings are catching in my hair. Should’ve taken them out before I took my hair down. Can you hold this for me?” Sara handed Jon her cup and cautiously took out her earrings, dropping them on the table.

Jon handed her back the coffee cup, which was almost empty anyway, and Sara had another sip then laid it down.

“Oh, God, I’m tired. Coffee isn’t even helping. You’ve worn me out, baby.”

Sara stretched, and Jon watched with great interest as the movement pushed her breasts against the dress, revealing even more, even just the very edge of a nipple which vanished from view again as she relaxed.

“Do you want to stay here tonight, or are you going back to the hotel?” She asked, not looking at him.

“Well, I want to stay here with you. Is that okay?”

“Oh, yeah. But I really need to go to bed now. You know where everything is, right? Make yourself at home.”

“Just sit here with me a minute while I finish my coffee, then I’ll come with you.” Jon suggested, and Sara subsided without an argument, snuggling close against him and closing her eyes.

When Jon drained his cup, he leaned forward to put it on the table, and realised from her lack of reaction that Sara was already asleep, cuddled into his shoulder. He tenderly pushed her hair back off her face, wincing as he again noticed the bite mark on her skin.

“Sara? Baby?”

No response, just a slight movement as she nestled closer, and Jon smiled and shifted on the couch. He slipped one arm under her shoulders and the other under her knees, lifting her in his arms as he stood up, and Sara tucked her head against his neck, still in sleep.

He carried her through to the bedroom and laid her gently on the mattress then sat on the edge of the bed, watching her, before standing again and picking up a blanket from the bottom of the bed, spreading it over her. Jon kicked off his shoes and walked around to the other side of the bed, lying down gently next to Sara and closing his eyes.


Kay woke late the next morning, slumped uncomfortably on the couch, still fully dressed. She knew she was in trouble the second she opened her eyes, as her brain shrieked a protest at the sudden ingress of light, and the pain made her groan feebly. Shower. That might help, she thought dully, and levered herself off the couch slowly. Standing upright was worse, and she’d only taken one stumbling step when nausea hit and she dashed for the bathroom, desperately trying not to throw up all over the floor.

She made it - just - and knelt miserably on the floor, retching painfully, each heave making her headache worse. Finally, she actually felt a little better, or at least she stopped throwing up, and knee-walked across to the sink to run some water into a glass, rinsing her mouth.

“What the hell happened last night?” She muttered to herself, straining her unco-operative brain to remember as she sat on the floor.

Okay, so she remembered Richie and Jon showing up at the restaurant. She remembered the surprise about Sara and Jon. She remembered Richie bringing her home in a cab. Oops. Now she remembered arguing with Richie and storming out of the cab. And worse. She remembered calling Sara and leaving a message, but she couldn’t remember what she’d said. Either the hangover was really bad, or her memory was refusing to go back over her words, and she was scared that it was the second one.

Eyes half-shut against the light, Kay peeled off her clothes and stepped into the bath, turning on the shower. She tried to wash away the headache, but it wasn’t working, and she settled for washing her hair then stepping out of the bath again and drying off. Through to the kitchen, and she found some painkillers in her first aid kit, swallowing two with a mouthful of warm water. She knew what she needed to do, and she decided to just bite the bullet and call Sara now, to find out what she’d said. Kay flicked on the coffee machine then left the kitchen, searching the living room for the phone and finally finding it buried under a cushion.

Sitting down, she dialled Sara’s number, wondering if she’d even be there at this time.


This morning, Sara had woken snuggled up against Jon, her face pressed to his chest so close that she could hear his heart. For a few luxurious minutes, she just lay enjoying it, awake but unmoving, then she slowly raised her head to look up at his face.

“Good morning, baby.” He smiled at her. “Sleep well?”

“Mm-hm…..you haven’t been awake all night, have you?”

“Nah - I woke up about half an hour ago, but you were so peaceful I didn’t want to disturb you. I’ve just been lying here watching you sleep.”

“I don’t even remember coming through to bed.” Sara said as she pushed herself up, then realised they were both still fully dressed.

“You fell asleep on the couch, and I carried you through here.”

Sara had managed to ease herself up the bed so their heads were level, and she gently kissed Jon good morning.

“You shouldn’t be carrying me. You’ve already got a bad back. You should’ve just left me on the couch - I’ve slept there before.”

“My back’s fine - anyway, there’s nothing of you.”

“Yeah, right. What time is it?”

“Just gone nine - why, do you have plans?”

“No, no plans, I just wondered. Guess I should make some breakfast. You hungry?”

“Oh, yeah. C’mere!”

Jon pulled Sara close again, slipping his tongue into her willing mouth as he tucked a hand into the back of her dress. He kneaded her back for a second, then brought his hand up to the tie on the neck of the dress, feeling the knot and trying to untie it by touch.

“I thought you were hungry?” Sara murmured.

“I am.” Jon brought his lips onto her ear. “I wasn’t talking about food, though.”

Just then, Sara’s tummy growled loudly, and they both laughed.

“Who asked you?” Jon said, directing the question to her stomach, but he took his hand off the halter. “Okay then, wench - make my breakfast!”

“Oh, wench, is it? I may let you starve.” Sara laughed as she got out of bed, and Jon slapped a hand across her ass as she climbed over him.

She made her way to the kitchen, distractedly realising she still wore last night’s clothes, and began to look for something to make for breakfast. There was a pancake mix in the cupboard, and she decided on pancakes with bacon, taking down a bowl and emptying in the packet of pancake mix. She put on an apron before she did anything else, and she was getting ready to pour the first of the batter into a hot pan when Jon appeared, talking on his cellphone.

“Yeah, she’s here - she’s making breakfast. Huh? Umm - looks like pancakes. Yeah, real food. Okay, hold on.”

He held out the phone to Sara. “Richie wants to talk to you.”

“Oh, okay. Just gimme a second.”

Sara poured batter into the pan then took the phone from Jon.

“Hi Richie!”

“You’re cooking for him? Must be love.”

“Well, I’m cooking for me - Jon just happens to be here, too. What can I say? I like to eat.”

Jon stuck out his tongue at her as he poured coffee for them both.

“Richie - what did you say to Kay last night?”

“Why?”

“Well, she left a message here, and I got the impression she wasn’t very happy with you. She wasn’t a happy girl.”

“She’s a bitch!” Jon muttered loudly, and Richie heard him, too.

“I just kinda told her I didn’t see how she could say she was your friend, with the stuff she’s said to you. Was I out of line?”

Sara sighed. “Actually, Richie, you were probably dead right. I think I need to re-assess my friendship with Kay, after the message she left me last night.”

“What did she say?”

“Y’know, it doesn’t matter. She….” Just then, Sara’s home phone rang, and Jon raised a hand to pick up the kitchen phone then hesitated, looking at Sara. She nodded affirmatively, and Jon answered the call.

“Hello?” Jon said into the phone as Sara continued talking to Richie, the phone jammed to her shoulder as she turned the pancake.

“Sorry, Richie, the other line rang, but my secretary got it! What was I saying? Oh, yeah, I think Kay was drunk, in fact I’m sure she was, but it really doesn’t matter. Nice of you to stand up for me, though.”

Jon was holding the phone against his shoulder now. “Sara - it’s Kay - she wants to talk to you.”

No comments: