Thursday, November 29, 2007

Chapter 63

“You shouldn’t say things like that.” Sara said, his words too close to her own feelings, flustering her and making her - as usual - back away from the emotion.

Jon knew what she was thinking, what she was doing, but he also knew better than to push too hard. It was like holding a tiny bird in your hand - hold it too tightly and you’d crush it, hold it too loosely and it might fly away, but if you held it just right, it would stay with you forever. He gave a final tug to her collar then dropped his hands.

“So - what do you want to do tonight, then?” He asked.

“I don’t know. Do you fancy watching a movie or something? Or did you want to go out?”

“Movie sounds good. Do you have popcorn?”

“Y’know, I think I do. I’ve usually got some of that microwave stuff around.”

Sara moved toward the door, then a thought occurred as she looked at Jon, wearing only a towel.

“If you want it, I think I’ve got another terry bathrobe in the cupboard.” She offered, and he nodded.

“So long as it’s not pink!”

She went to the cupboard, finding a white robe folded beside the clean towels, and she threw it over to Jon as she headed out to the kitchen. Sara found the popcorn and was just putting the bag in the microwave when Jon came through.

“What d’you want to watch?” He asked. “I picked last time.”

“Not sure. How about………hmmm, maybe not. I was going to say A Time to Kill, but that feels a little weird, after meeting Matthew the other night. Or, do you mind watching it?”

“I don’t mind at all - Matt’s a great actor, and it’s a good movie. Go find it and I’ll watch the popcorn doesn’t burn - I assume you want diet coke, too?”

“Please, sweetie.”

Sara kissed him softly before she left, for no particular reason other than obeying a sudden impulse, leaving Jon smiling as he opened the fridge to get some drinks. She quickly slipped through to the bathroom, unwrapping the towel from her hair and dropping it into the bath, then going to the living room to search for the movie. With perfect timing, just as Sara located the DVD she was looking for and put it into the machine, Jon came through carrying a tray with the bowl of popcorn and two glasses of coke.

“A cook and a waiter?” Sara giggled at him, and Jon stuck out his tongue.

Just the gesture made Sara flush - she knew exactly what that pointed tongue could do to her - and Jon laughed now as he saw the blood rush to her cheeks. He laid the tray down on the table, taking the bowl onto his lap as he sat down. Sara switched the TV on and came to sit beside him, Jon putting his arm around her shoulders as she tucked her legs up on the couch, taking a piece of popcorn before hitting ‘play’ on the remote.

They both managed to stay awake this time, right through the movie, then during the courtroom scenes near to the end Jon became aware that Sara was sniffling. He looked down at her, seeing tears on her face as she watched Matt’s heartfelt performance of the final summation. Jon tightened his arm on her shoulders, pulling her into him comfortingly as they watched the last few minutes of the movie. As the credits started to roll, Sara brought up a hand and wiped away the tears, smiling up at Jon.

“Sorry - that scene always gets me - he seems so sincere and……..oh, I don’t know - it just makes me cry sometimes. Not usually in front of somebody else, though!”

“Well, knowing how you like to keep your emotions buttoned up tight.” As he said it, Jon ruffled his hand across the top of her head, hoping she wouldn’t be offended, and she didn’t interrupt as he continued. “I guess it gives me something to aspire to with my own acting - to be able to make it that effective and believable. Matt’s a great actor, though - I think he’s underrated a lot of the time.”

Sara turned to look up at him in disbelief.

Good God.” She said softly. “I never expected to hear you talk like that. You know what? You sound like me - I’ve never heard you put yourself down before. You’re usually so confident.”

“I’ve been told that I’ll only ever make a good actor if I quit my day job, quit singing and touring, but I can’t do that.”

“Sounds like a load of crap to me.” Sara told him, snuggling against him again so he couldn’t see her face. “Trust me, baby, I watched The Leading Man after Dana more or less ordered me to, and you were certainly believable in that. Have to say - even though I wasn’t really a fan of yours - I did hate Thandie Newton!”

“And are you a fan of mine now?”

“Mm-hm…….but I still hate Thandie - she got you first!”

Jon chuckled, loving that Sara believed in him so much. Dot had always been a little cool about his desire to make movies.

“Baby, she never got me - she got the character, not me. But thanks for watching the movie - it kinda bombed, except for fans - I don’t really think anybody else was into it.”

“Their loss.” Sara sat up and stretched, looking at the clock. “Half past eleven, and I’m exhausted. You tire me out, baby.”

“Likewise. Want to go to bed?”

“I think so. Otherwise we’ll only fall asleep here again, and my neck’s still stiff from last night.”

They got off the couch and Sara took the empty bowl and glasses through to the kitchen, washing them out then cleaning the coffee pot, automatically getting it ready for the next morning. She was just pouring the water in when Jon came through to the kitchen.

“I thought you were coming to bed?”

“I am. I just like to leave the coffee ready to turn on in the morning - saves time and means I don’t have to wait so long for my first cup of coffee.”

“Forward planning. I like it. Now,” he took hold of her fingers, pulling her toward him, “come to bed.”

He led her along the hallway to the bedroom, Sara following meekly, but when they got to the bed they saw chocolate smears on the sheet.

“Whoops. God, I can’t be bothered to change sheets tonight. We could use the spare bedroom, but that bed isn’t made up either. Aw, dammit. Oh, I know!”

Sara smoothed the cover back over the bed, covering the chocolatey sheet, then went to the closet and found some blankets, laying them on the bed with Jon’s help. Their bathrobes got dumped on a chair, and Jon slid under the blankets as Sara went over to her dresser, picking up her brush.

“Babe - you’re going to bed - why are you brushing your hair?”

“Because it’s wet, and it’s a mess.”

“Why don’t you dry it. You’ll catch cold, going to bed with wet hair.”

She giggled. “God, you sound like my mom. She always used to tell me that. I’ve been going to bed with wet hair for years, and it hasn’t killed me yet.”

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Jon told her, wagging a finger at her comically.

Sara finished brushing her hair and came across to the bed, Jon holding the blankets up for her to slide in beside him.

“This is getting to be a habit.” Sara murmured as Jon gathered her into his arms.

“A bad habit?”

“No, but I think it could be addictive.” She nuzzled her nose against his throat, knowing he was smiling even though she couldn’t see.

“Good. Hey - nearly forgot! Where’s my goodnight kiss?”

Pulling back far enough to see him, Sara gently kissed his cheek.

“How’s that?”

“Not quite what I had in mind, baby girl.”

Jon softly kissed her lower lip, his tongue sliding out to lick against her, then pushing her mouth open, her tongue snaking into his mouth. Sara sighed contentedly as they drew apart again, a soft smile on her lips.

“Good night, baby.” She whispered, tucking her head against Jon’s neck again.

“Good night, Sara.”

A few minutes later, Jon remembered he hadn’t mentioned the trip to Florida.

“Sara?”

No response, and he realised that she was already asleep. Well, he could tell her in the morning. He moved slightly, letting Sara’s head rest more comfortably against him, and he was running through set lists for Florida in his mind when he fell asleep.

No comments: