Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Chapter 13

Jon hugged the kids, feeling tears behind his eyes when his daughter whispered in his ear.

“We’ll be fine daddy. Will you be okay?”

He squeezed her a little harder. “I’ll be fine Stephy.” As he released her, Jon realised from her expression that she already knew Dot had someone else.

Standing up, Jon smiled at them all. “Okay - I need to go make some calls. I’ll be outside if anybody needs me.”

Out on the patio, he took a deep breath before dialling his mom’s number. He told her what was happening, but not that Dot was seeing somebody, and stopped her when she started to say they should try counselling.

“Mom - it’s over. It has been for a while, but it’s taken us a while to admit it. I’m fine, and the kids seem to be cool with it too.”

“Last one” he muttered as he finished the call with his mom, and dialled Richie’s number. He figured he’d tell him, and he could tell the other guys.

Richie was silent for a second when Jon told him.

“Are you okay buddy?” Richie finally asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’ll see you next weekend - just wanted to let you know before you read it in the papers. Could you do me a favour, and tell the other guys?”

“Sure, no problem. Hell - we can hit the town next weekend - see what we trouble we can get into!”

“Oh, I’m sure your lady would love that!” Jon laughed.

“Well, that’s something I was gonna tell you on the weekend. I kinda ditched Denise last week.”

“How can you ‘kinda’ ditch somebody?”

“Okay - I did ditch her. I don’t need her kind of aggravation any more.”

That made Jon smile, but he wisely said nothing, although ‘I told you so’ did spring to mind. He and the other guys had tried to make Richie see sense during the tour, when he’d hooked up with Denise, but there was no shifting Rich until he was ready to make up his own mind. Eventually, they’d given up on it, and just left him to find out for himself.

Richie promised again to call the other guys, and Jon finally got him off the phone. Checking his watch, he saw it was almost time for the kids to go to bed, so he went back inside to say goodnight to them.

Dot left him to put them to bed, so that the kids could talk to him if they wanted. Steph was fine, and all the boys wanted to know was where he was going to live, and would he still be able to take them to Soul games. The whole thing was starting to make Jon feel kind of superfluous, that his family would get along fine without him, but he swore to himself that he’d still be part of all their lives. Leaving the last bedroom, Jon went into his and Dot’s room - or what used to be theirs, anyway. He collected up some clothes and essentials, taking them along to one of the spare bedrooms. At least, he thought, they had plenty of spare rooms for him to choose from.

He found Dot downstairs, and told her he’d moved some of his stuff into another room, but he’d move out as soon as he found somewhere suitable. She seemed a little saddened that he was moving things forward so fast, but smiled as she said goodnight to him, heading upstairs where they would - for the first time since they’d moved in here - sleep in separate beds.

Jon found a bottle of wine and took it up to his temporary bedroom. He settled himself on the bed, wine in hand, then dialled Sara’s cell number. As it began to ring, he noticed it was almost midnight, but she had said to call no matter what time. After a few rings, a sleepy voice answered.

“ ‘Lo?”

“Hey sweetheart. It’s me. Did I wake you?”

“Jon? What time is it? Hey - it’s dark.”

“It’s late baby. I’ll call you back in the morning.”

“No - it’s okay - I’m awake now. Well, almost awake anyway. Hold on.” There was a rustling sound, then a click. “Okay, that’s better. The light’s on - ooh, bright. Sorry - are you okay Jon?”

“Yeah. Well, it’s official now. We told the kids, and I’ve called mom and Richie.”

“How did the kids take it?”

“Surprisingly well. I think maybe because I’ve always been away a lot, it may have made things easier. I also think Steph knew Dot had somebody else.”

“Really? Wow. And what about you? Are you okay?”

Jon smiled at the concern in her voice.

“I’m good.” He drank some of his wine. “How was your day? Did you get all your paperwork done?”

“Eventually! I got another job, too.”

“That’s great. Anything exciting?”

“Wouldn’t call it exciting, exactly, but it’ll get me away for a few days. I’ve to photograph a wedding up in Canada, and they’re arranging all my travel and accommodation.”

“Whose wedding?”

“It’s supposed to be all hush-hush, but I don’t think you’ll go running off to the gossip columnists, will you?”

“Ah - no - not really likely, is it?”

“Ryan Walker. He’s marrying his supermodel on Wednesday, so I’ve to fly up Tuesday and back Thursday. Sounds like a nice trip actually. Free flights. Nice hotel - actually the same one as they’re putting the guests in - for a couple of nights, AND I get paid for it!”

Jon opened his mouth to tell Sara he’d been asked to the wedding, having worked with Ryan on a recent movie, then stopped. Wouldn’t it be much more fun to surprise her? Oh, yeah. He grinned to himself, drinking more wine.

“Sounds good. Does that mean I can’t see you next week?”

“Well, I’ll be away Tuesday through Thursday, but I’ll be around Monday and Friday.”

“What about tomorrow and Sunday?” Jon asked petulantly, and Sara laughed.

“Yes, I’ll be about all weekend too!”

“So, what else did you get up to today, then?”

“I managed to get to the store, so I can now eat breakfast tomorrow, then I just had a long soak in the bath. I was going to watch TV, but I guess I fell asleep! I lay down, just for a second, then the next thing I know it’s midnight and some rock star is calling me up!”

“Sorry! I did say I’d call back……..hey, if you were just out of the tub when you fell asleep, what are you wearing right now?”

“Jon! Bad boy!” But she was giggling. “I’m wearing big thick flannelly pajamas with bedsocks.” She lied.

“Really? You’re kidding, right? Please tell me you’re kidding! On second thoughts, on you, they probably look hot.”

“Of course I’m kidding! I’m wearing a bath towel. Or I was,” she said, looking down, “it seems to have come undone while I was asleep.”

Jon closed his eyes, smiling at the image in his mind. “Tell me more. Are you all sparkles again?”

“Nope. No sparkles this time. I do seem to have some little stars stuck in some interesting places though.”

“What?!” Jon’s eyes flew open again. “Stars? Where exactly are they stuck?”

“The stuff I used in the bath has tiny little stars in it, and because I fell asleep, and didn’t wipe them off, they’ve stuck to me. What was the other question?” She teased.

“I asked where they’re stuck.” Jon replied, and Sara could hear the slight change in his voice as he smiled into the phone.

“Oh, right. Sorry - I’m not telling you!”

“Now, that’s mean. You tell me you’re naked, only wearing a few little stars, then you won’t tell me where they are? That’s just cruel, Sara!”

“Me? Cruel? How can you say that, Jon? How can I possibly be cruel when I’m lying here naked with stars on my tummy?”

“Well, that’s a start. Where else are they?”

Sara was starting to enjoy the game, and enjoying tormenting Jon. “There are some lower down…..and there are a few higher up…….” She yawned suddenly. “Oops. Sorry. I didn’t get much sleep last night!”

Jon took another drink of his wine. “I’d better go, and let you get back to sleep.” He said reluctantly, knowing he was the reason she hadn’t had much sleep - she’d been too busy watching over him while he cried like a baby.

“It’s okay.” Sara protested.

“No, actually, I’d really better go. If I stay on this phone with you much longer, I’m going to end up getting in my car and coming over there to see you!”

Sara’s sleepy chuckle made him seriously consider driving over, but he looked at the wine bottle and decided that driving wasn’t such a good idea right now.

“If you’re sure.” She sighed, then he heard her yawn again.

“I’m sure. I’ll call you tomorrow. G’night babe.”

“Mmm…….’night Jon.” Sara was almost asleep again when she hung up the phone, pulling a fold of the blankets over her shoulder and snuggling back down with a smile on her lips.

Jon clicked his phone off, then finished off his wine while he got ready for bed. Thinking of Sara, he too fell asleep smiling softly.

As usual, Sara woke when the sun climbed high enough to shine in through her window. She got the coffee going, then took a mug out into the back garden, where she sat in the sun, reading her book and savouring the coffee. When she went back into the house for a refill, she realised what a mess the place was, and resolved to spend the day tidying and cleaning. Hardly her favourite pastime, but it had to be done, and Sara made herself her usual deal - if she got stuck in and did all the work in the morning, she would spend the afternoon lazing out back in the sun. Silly, maybe, but it motivated her to get on with things.

She ate a quick breakfast, then went into the bathroom to clean her teeth. No point in showering until she’d finished all the work that needed to be done. She threw on her comfiest old shorts and a baggy t shirt, scraped her hair into a high ponytail, and she was ready to get started.

For three long hours she worked her way through the house. Although she hated housework with a passion, on a very rare occasion - like today - she just got it into her head to clean everything, scrubbing and polishing until things were spotless. Everything was done, except her bedroom, and she took a quick break to grab an icy can of diet coke from the fridge, then started again. She was on her knees, vacuuming under the bed, when she heard her cellphone ring, so she kicked at the button on the vacuum until it stopped running and answered the call.

“Hello?” She panted, out of breath.

“Sara? What are you doing?”

“Hi Jon. I’m fighting with a vacuum cleaner.”

“Oh, right. Okay.” He sounded confused by the answer, but let it go. “Have you had lunch yet?”

“Lunch? Is it that time already? Damn, I wanted to be finished by lunchtime.”

She heard him laughing.

“Sara - it’s just after one. Aren’t you hungry?”

“I hadn’t noticed - too busy.” Sara pulled herself off the floor as she heard the doorbell. “Hang on, there’s somebody at the door. What are you up to today, then? Are the kids still okay?” She asked as she walked to the front door.

“The kids are fine, thanks. I didn’t really have any plans - wondered if you fancied lunch?”

“Aw, I’d love to, Jon, but I’m right in the middle of trying to clean this house - and trust me, you don’t want to see the state of me!” She got to the door and pulled it open, nearly dropping the phone when she found Jon outside, holding a pizza box in one hand, cellphone in the other. “Oh, you swine!” She tried to brush the dust and dirt off her knees as Jon laughed at her.

“Can I come in?”

You……….sorry……..yes………come in - pizza? What kind?” She was suddenly ravenous and closed the door as Jon carried the box through to the kitchen.

“I wasn’t sure what you liked, so I just got triple cheese.” He called over his shoulder.

2 comments:

Queenie said...

The kids took the news well, shame on Dot for letting Steph figure out she was messing around. Glad Jon had Sara to talk to.

OMG, I think I would have to hit him with the pizza box if he did that to me. Too funny.

This is so good Angel. Keep it coming.

sassi said...

Woah...my OH used to do that to me...annoying but lovely, loving this story well done-very talented :)