Friday, October 5, 2007

Chapter 16

Wearily, Jon raised his head to look at Sara.

“Are you expecting somebody?”

“No. I don’t have anybody coming.” She said without thinking, dissolving into giggles as Jon smirked at her. “I meant I’m not expecting anybody.” She corrected herself with a grin.

Moving apart reluctantly, they gathered up their discarded towels, then Sara had a sudden thought.

“I’m guessing you don’t want to be seen here right now?”

Jon looked a little sheepish. “Well……I’m not ashamed of you - nothing like that - but I can just imagine if the gossip columns got hold of this before Dot and I announce our separation. It could hurt the kids, and I don’t want that.”

“Don’t be silly.” Sara quickly reassured him. “That’s why I asked. Why don’t you go along to the bedroom while I find out who’s at the door - see if I can get rid of them.”

With a grateful smile, Jon gave her a swift kiss, then scooped up his jeans as Sara wrapped herself snugly in the towel again. She opened the bathroom door, allowing herself the luxury of watching the motion of Jon’s bare butt as he hustled along to the bedroom, his jeans held in front of him, before she headed for the front door.

Sara double checked her towel had her decently covered, then opened the door to find one of her elderly neighbours standing there patiently.

“Oh, hello Mrs Dornan. How are you?”

“I’m fine, Sara dear.” She noticed that Sara was wrapped in a damp towel. “I’m sorry - did I disturb you?”

“It’s okay - I’ve been doing some cleaning and I just needed a shower. What can I do for you?”

“Well, dear, we’re having one of our charity sales and auctions - for the church, you know - and I’m just finding out if anyone has anything they’d like to donate.”

Sara thought quickly, desperate to get the gossipy old lady away from the house before she invited herself in.

“I’ll have to have a look, see what I can come up with. What I could do, if you’d like, is let you auction off a photo shoot. I could get a professional make up artist involved, and I’ll do a set of photos for the successful bidder. Do you think people would like that?”

Mrs Dornan looked pleased. “Oh, I’m sure they would my dear. That’s very generous of you.”

“Well, you can put that in, Mrs Dornan, and I’ll see what else I can come up with.”

Very happy, the elderly visitor carefully noted Sara’s offer in a little book, then finally said goodbye and left.

Sara closed the door and locked it, then made her way along to the bedroom, where she found Jon lying across the bed, sound asleep with one arm crooked across his face to keep the light out. He’d pulled on his jeans, but the top button was still undone, allowing her a tantalising hint of the curly hair disappearing beneath the waistband.

Her throat felt raw from thirst, so Sara went to the kitchen to pour herself some diet coke, draining half the glass right there and sighing blissfully as it cooled her parched throat. Refilling the glass, she returned to the bedroom, standing by the bed and watching Jon sleep. She carefully sat on the edge of the bed, trying not to disturb him, then she lightly traced her finger around the outline of the steer’s head tattooed on his right shoulder. The ink was faded, and she could barely make out the “Wanted” enclosed in the dangling feather. Her touch was light enough not to wake Jon, but just sufficient for the contact to enter his dreams, and he smiled lazily.

Standing up again, Sara quietly went to the closet and dressed quickly in shorts and a strappy top, then sat down at the mirror to brush her damp hair. She quickly twisted her hair into a knot at the back of her head and secured it with a scrunchie so her neck was left bare and cool, then sprayed on a little of her favourite perfume. Jon was still asleep, and she decided to leave him a little longer while she tidied up the pizza mess in the kitchen. Once the plates were washed up and put away, she took the empty box out to the bin, looking across the garden and seeing the sun bathing the hammock she had over by the fence. The temptation was too much, and Sara went inside and grabbed her book, taking it outside and settling herself comfortably in the hammock to read.

The hammock sat low, purposely set that way so that Sara could drape one leg over the side to keep it rocking gently as she lay with her head on the pillow. She flipped open her book, pulling out the old photograph she was using as a bookmark and laying it on her stomach as she read, picking up from where she’d left off, and quickly becoming engrossed in the story, losing track of time.

In the bedroom, Jon woke to the smell of fresh linen, and that same perfume he’d smelled the other day when he woke up on Sara’s couch. He stretched slowly, feeling his back pop slightly, then he sat up, looking for Sara.

“Babe?”

The house was silent, and for a second he was worried, before common sense took over. For God’s sake, he thought, it’s her house - it’s not like she’s gonna go anywhere! He stood up, and wandered through the house looking for Sara. He couldn’t see her anywhere, but when he got to the kitchen, he glanced through the window and saw her lying out in a hammock in the sun, one long leg draped over the side. Opening the fridge, he helped himself to a can of diet coke before heading out into the garden.

The grass was cool under his bare feet, where the house cast it’s shadow, but as he crossed into the sunlight, the ground was immediately warmer.

“Hey!” He called softly, not wanting to startle her, and Sara turned her head in his direction.

“Hey yourself. Have a nice nap?”

“Yeah. You tired me out, girl - I’m not as young as I used to be.” He laughed. “You should’ve woken me though. Who was at the door?”

“Oh, one of my neighbours. She does a lot of stuff for her church, and she’s collecting things for one of their sale and auction days.”

Standing by the hammock now, Jon gave it a gentle push, making it sway a little. Sara smiled up at him.

“Thank you.” She said, picking up her bookmark to slide it into the book.

“What’re you reading?” Jon lifted the book out of her hands. “Robert Ludlum? What’s it about?”

“Oh, just his usual kind of thing. Spies, conspiracies, stuff like that. Have you read any of his?”

“No. I saw the Bourne Identity though.”

Sara wrinkled her nose. “The movie was nothing like the book. Actually, I love the book, but I hated the movie. Matt Damon just didn’t do it for me.”

“So who does do it for you?” Jon asked, acting innocent, and Sara decided to be just a little cruel.

“Actors, you mean?” Jon nodded. “Well, Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean, Viggo Mortensen, Mel Gibson, Kris Kristofferson - when he was a little younger anyway, ummmm……..can’t think of anyone else!”

With a shriek of laughter, she pushed hard with her leg, swinging the hammock away from Jon as he made a shocked face and raised the book as though to hit her with it.

“Oh, and that Jon Bon Jovi guy’s okay I suppose……..if there’s nobody else about………”

Laughing and shaking his head at her, Jon opened the book where she’d been reading, but before he started to read, he looked at the bookmark, then took it out to look at it more closely. He looked closely at the photo, then turned it over to check if there was anything written on the back.

“Hey - is this you?”

Sara blushed. “Mm-hm. It’s a really old photo though!”

“Damn. Does that mean you don’t have the whip anymore?”

“Oh, it’s in the bedroom closet………” her voice trailed off as Jon’s eyes lit up. “It’s with the rest of my riding - my horse riding - stuff. God, you’ve got a filthy mind!”

“What? You’ve just realised that?!”

Jon grabbed hold of the hammock, holding it still as he leaned over to kiss her.

“So - does this thing hold two?”

“Never tried it.” Sara replied, looking at it. “I don’t think it’s big enough, though.”

“You might be right.” Jon considered. “Aw, what the hell. Shift over a bit and let’s try it!”

Awkwardly, as Jon held the hammock steady, Sara shuffled over to the far edge, balancing there as best she could while Jon cautiously sat on the other edge.

“So far, so good.” He commented as the hammock sagged even lower under the combined weight, but it held.

Keeping one foot on the ground, Jon swung himself around until he was lying beside Sara, raising an arm to cuddle her into him.

“Guess it is big enough for two.” Sara observed, as she snuggled close, her head on his bare shoulder and her fingers idly toying with the light fur on his chest.

Jon didn’t reply - just hugged her closer as he gently pushed the hammock into motion with his foot. The weight must have been slightly off centre, as the hammock swung a little jerkily, and Sara moved until she lay on her side, her arm across Jon’s chest and one leg tucked between Jon’s. With the redistribution of weight, the balance was much better, and she relaxed against him as they swayed, breathing in his distinctive scent.

A light breeze passed over, bringing a waft of that perfume to Jon’s nose again, and he asked Sara what it was.

“It’s from Victorias Secret.” She told him. “It’s called ‘Very Sexy’. I love it.”

“Me too.” he said, breathing it in deeply. “It suits you……the scent and the name.”

They lay cuddled together on the hammock for almost an hour, until the sun had moved further around, leaving the hammock in shade. Jon roused himself enough to look at his watch, grimacing a little at the time.

“Sweetie?” He stroked Sara’s shoulder.

“Mm-hm?”

“I’m sorry, Sara. I gotta go - I need to be back when the kids go to bed, just for a couple of nights.”

“S’okay,” she mumbled sleepily, “They have to come first. You should go.”

As she spoke, Jon could feel her breath on his chest, and the last thing he wanted to do was leave her, but Sara was pushing herself up, making the hammock swing as she tried to sit up. He dropped his foot back to the ground, steadying them, and Sara managed to get her feet onto the ground on the other side. She stepped away from the hammock, and Jon snorted a laugh.

“What?” She looked down. “Oh. I always forget about that!”

Where she’d been lying on her side, Sara’s hip and leg were heavily indented with the fishnet pattern of the hammock, and when Jon stood up, she could see the same marks on his back.

They headed for the house, Jon taking Sara’s hand as they walked to the door.

“So, what are you doing tomorrow?” He asked.

“Well, I need to sort out my stuff for this trip to Canada, so I’ll have to go to the studio sometime between now and Monday night. What about you?”

“I think I’ll take the kids to see my mom. I should see her anyway - I’ve told her what’s happening,” he broke off at the questioning look in Sara’s eyes “I mean, I’ve told her about me and Dot. Nothing else. Yet.”

Inside the house, Sara locked the rear door as Jon disappeared to the bedroom to find his t shirt. He came back, still shrugging into it, and Sara smiled.

“Come here.”

Jon walked over, and she grabbed the waist of his jeans, fastening the button that he’d left undone. She could feel the curly hair rough against her fingers, and she rubbed across it gently before taking her hand away.

They kissed, a deep kiss filled with longing, and broke apart unwillingly.

“Can I see you tomorrow?” Jon asked, and Sara nodded.

“Of course, baby. Just give me a call on my cell - I may be at the studio.”

Sara walked him to the door, but before she could open it Jon kissed her again, crushing her against him in a passionate embrace then tearing himself away.

“God, I really don’t want to…….”

“Jon, go.” Sara interrupted him, laying one hand on his chest. “You know you need to go. Tomorrow?”

He grinned at her, the trademark smile a little lopsided as he ran a hand through his hair then opened the door.

“Tomorrow.” He promised, closing the door behind him and jogging to his car.

1 comment:

Alina said...

It sounds like they'll fall in love the next chapters ;)

Let's see if I'm right :p