Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Chapter 81

As she straightened again, Jon rose onto his knees behind her, taking the hairdryer out of her hand.

“Let me.” He said, and Sara smiled as he tipped her head forward, running his fingers through her hair as he switched the dryer on again.

She leaned back against his warm chest as he slowly dried her hair, occasionally dropping an unexpected kiss onto her neck, making her shiver pleasantly. Her hair was long enough that it trailed onto the bed, and once he was happy it was dry, Jon turned the dryer off and combed his hands through her hair.

“There you go, darlin’.” He sat back on his heels, but Sara didn’t move.

“You stopped.” She murmured drowsily, then sighed deeply.

Jon leaned further back as Sara snapped her head up, flipping her hair down her back in a fluffy mane. Her face was pink from the heat of the dryer, her eyes soft as she looked at him.

“That was nice. I like you playing with my hair.”

Grinning, Jon slid a hand around her waist, down to the soft curls.

“I know you do.”

Sara giggled and caught his wrist, stopping him in his tracks.

“Food first. I haven’t eaten since breakfast!”

“You had brownies, remember.”

“Well, yeah, but that was just a snack. I need real food.”

“What do you want, then?” Jon released her as he moved to the edge of the bed.

“I don’t know, ummm……….oh, yes I do! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger and fries!”

“Sounds good to me. Gimme five minutes to take a shower.” He headed toward the bathroom, then stopped. “Any idea where we can get cheeseburgers here? Downstairs in the pub, maybe?”

“Maybe - or the Watering Hole. I know they do them.”

“You just want to see your toyboy again, donchya?!”

With that comment, Jon dived into the bathroom, laughing as he heard Sara say she was adding that to her list. When he emerged from the bathroom, a towel around his waist, he found Sara lying on the bed reading, clad in only her underwear. Hot pink this time. He looked at her for a long moment, rubbing his thumbnail against his lower lip, before he spoke.

“Babe - if you want to go eat, I suggest you put some clothes on. Or you could just take off what you’ve got on, and we’ll go back to bed.”

“Oh, sorry - I was getting ready, but I picked up my book and, well, I guess I got distracted.”

She closed the book and stood up, hearing the faintest of growls from Jon as he looked at her.

“You look good in that colour.”

“Thanks. I love pink. Pink and black - my favourite colours. And red. I like red.”

Jon had a sudden flash of her in that deep red dress, and he grinned.

“I like you in red, too. I prefer you in nothing, though.”

Sara chuckled deep in her throat, stepping close to him and whispering in his ear.

“Know what I prefer you in?”

“What?”

Me.” She breathed.

“That can be arranged, baby.”

That throaty laugh again as her teeth nipped his ear. “Food first. Then we can have dessert.”

“Tease.” He told her, but he was hungry, too, and he bent to pick up his bag, finding yet another clean shirt.

They dressed quickly, both in jeans and t shirts, and for a change Sara’s was plain, a hot pink that matched her underwear. She picked up her sandals, about to put them on, then stopped, turning to Jon.

“Do you mind getting your feet wet?”

“Strange question, but no, I don’t.”

“There’s a quicker way to the beach, without crossing the parking lot, but you need to cross a stream. I’ll just carry my sandals - guess I’ll need them at the restaurant.”

Following her lead, Jon picked up his running shoes, holding them by the laces and sliding his cellphone into the pocket of his jeans.

“In that case, I’m ready when you are, babe.”

Sara grabbed her bag and they left, heading downstairs barefoot. The receptionist was back now, and Jon went on outside while Sara stopped to explain that her boyfriend had come over to surprise her, and that he’d be staying a couple of nights. The girl took a note of the extra person for breakfast, but she hadn’t actually looked at Jon, just registering a blond guy standing outside.

Outside, Sara led Jon along to the stairs, laughing at his muttered curses as he stepped on sharp stones on the path. When they reached the end of the path, at the little gate, he stood for a moment gazing out along the beach.

“It really is beautiful here, isn’t it?”

“Even more so now you’re here with me.” Sara told him, and he took her hand with a smile, squeezing her fingers.

The rain had stopped and the clouds had thinned, the sun brightening the beach with it’s last power as it headed to the horizon. At the bottom of the steps, they rolled their jeans to their knees, then walked hand-in-hand to the stream. Sara had crossed it before, so she knew what to expect, but Jon swore when he took his first step into the chilly water, stopping dead.

Fuck, that’s cold!” He looked at her. “And you thought you could go surfing here?!”

“I was actually going to look into that tomorrow. It’s not that cold - the sea’s warmer than this is.” She giggled. “Technically, I guess it’s the same water as at home. It’s all the Atlantic Ocean.”

“What? You trying to convince me it’s as warm here as it is in East Hampton?”

“I don’t know - I’ve never been there.”

“I’ll take you, when you’re home again.” Jon promised. “Now, can we move before my feet freeze off?”

“Hey - you’re the wuss that stopped.” Sara pulled him onward, turning to face him, mischievously flicking a foot in the water so the cold drops splattered higher on his legs.

“Start a water fight and I’ll throw you in the sea!” He warned her, and she laughed.

“Let’s eat, first, then we can go swimming!”

“You’re mad. You’re completely certifiable! No way I’m swimming in water this cold!”

“Okay. Guess I’ll be skinny dipping alone then.”

“You’ll get yourself arrested.” He warned her, but Sara shook her head.

“I’m sure I saw some big rock pools along the cliffs. Nobody can see those. Especially at night.”

Now she had Jon’s interest, and the conversation had kept his mind off the cold water while they crossed, since they were now walking on dry sand. Jon turned toward the Watering Hole, but Sara pulled him the opposite way, heading toward a huge rock down close to the surf.

“You’re going the wrong way, Sara.”

“I want to see what’s up here. There’s supposed to be a pool in the rock.”

“A rock pool in a rock? How unusual.” He teased, and she stuck out her tongue.

“No, an actual swimming pool. Built into the rock.”

“Really?”

Jon was intrigued now, and they went to the rock, walking round to the seaward side. Sure enough, they could see the concrete edge of something, and Sara climbed up onto a low rock.

“It is a swimming pool. Kinda full of seaweed, but it’s a swimming pool.”

She let go of Jon’s hand as she climbed a little higher, trying to avoid the slick, slippery areas without slicing her feet apart on the mussel shells clustered on the rocks. Jon shook his head as she climbed up barefoot, but he followed her up to the edge of the pool. It was certainly a swimming pool, and from the amount of sand and weed, he guessed it got refreshed every time the tide came in. Sara kicked a loose pebble into the water, watching as it fell slowly to the bottom.

“It’s deep.” She said wonderingly. “I don’t know I fancy swimming in there, though.”

“Why not? Too cold for you?”

“No, not that, just, well, there’ll be things living in there. Fish and stuff.”

“They live in the sea, too.” Jon pointed out.

“I know, but - oh, I don’t know - just don’t like the idea of swimming and a fish or something sneaking up on me!”

“Hell, baby, if you go skinny dipping, it’s not the fish you need to worry about sneaking up on you.”

“And what exactly do I need to worry about?” She teased, giggling as he caught her about the waist and pulled her close.

“Me.”

Standing on the edge of the pool, they kissed, until Sara’s tummy rather ruined the romance by grumbling loudly.

“Okay, I’ll feed you.” Jon surrendered. “If we can get down from here.”

As usual, it was more difficult to climb back down on the slippery rocks, but they managed it without incident, stepping gratefully back onto the wet sand. They were just in time, as they discovered the tide had been creeping in while they contemplated the pool, forcing them to wade around the projecting point of the rock to get back to the main beach. Jon slung an arm around her shoulders as they walked up to the Watering Hole, and Sara turned to look at him, then stopped.

“Oh, look, Jon.”

She pointed out to sea, and he turned, seeing the last rays of the sun had turned the sea to bronze, and the sky a deep, dusky pink, making the few clouds appear blue in contrast.

“Wow.” He hugged her closer as they gazed at nature’s spectacle. “Now that’s what you call a sunset, isn’t it? Beautiful. But not as beautiful as you.”

For once, she didn’t demur, just reached up to kiss his cheek in silent acknowledgement, then standing cuddled against him, her left hand in the back pocket of his jeans as he held her close.

No comments: