Friday, January 18, 2008

Chapter 103

By early Saturday afternoon most of Jon’s purchases from the antique warehouse had been delivered to the apartment, and he was standing out on the bedroom balcony, waiting for the final few deliveries, when he decided to call Sara. It would be evening there, and he was surprised when the phone in her bedroom wasn’t picked up. He checked the number and redialled, but still no answer. After a few minutes, he realised how paranoid he was being - she was probably out having dinner or something - she wasn’t expecting him to call so early, so there was no reason for her to be sitting around waiting.

His thoughts were interrupted by the muted buzz of the doorbell, and he went along to the door, admitting the guys who were struggling under the weight of the enormous mattress needed to fill the bedstead. They got it into place after a little difficulty getting it through the bedroom door, then Jon was again left to his thoughts. He bounced experimentally on the mattress, wishing Sara were there so they could test it out properly, and he was forced to laugh at himself, at his desperate longing for the girl who was coming to be such a big part of his life.

The day’s final delivery - a load of stuff Dot had been kind enough to box up for him - arrived, and Jon directed the movers to stack the boxes in the bedroom. At least sorting through all the stuff would keep him occupied while he waited impatiently for Sara’s return. Alone again, Jon tried Sara’s number once more, and this time she answered.

“Hello?”

“Sara. Where were you?!” As he said it, Jon realised how sharply he’d spoken, and he jumped in to take the sting out of his words before Sara could reply. “Sorry, darlin’. I didn’t mean it that way. I was just worried when you didn’t answer before.”

“You called before? I was downstairs in the bar, eating dinner. Is something wrong?”

“No, nothing’s wrong, except I miss you.”

“Oh, I miss you too, Jon, more than you’d believe. What have you been up to today, then?”

“I guess today I officially moved in here, into the apartment.”

“Really?”

“Yeah - I’ve got furniture and everything, so I guess I’m moved in. I even got a mattress, so no more bruises for you.”

“So when can we try it out?” Sara purred with a smile.

“I’d say about forty minutes after your flight lands, darlin’. Unless we get……….delayed………….on our way from the airport.”

Sara giggled. “And that’s a distinct possibility, isn’t it? God, I need you so badly, Jon. I’m going crazy here, not being able to see you. You were right - talking on the phone just isn’t the same.”

“I think I actually said that phone sex wasn’t the same, but talking dirty with you when I can’t just drive on over and get you to make good on your suggestions, now that’s not good.”

“Suggestive? Me? I can’t believe that.”

“Oh, you know it, Sara. You know exactly what you do to me, and how much I love you for it.”

Through the phone, Jon heard a soft thump, followed by another.

“What are you doing?” He asked curiously.

“Hmmm? I was just taking off my shoes. I’m going to have a bath.”

“So you’re getting undressed?”

“Obviously.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Jon! What do you want me to tell you? That the sweater I’m wearing has tiny buttons all the way down the front, and that I’m unbuttoning them right now?”

“Yeah.” Jon sat down on the wide sill of the window, closing his eyes and smiling. “What color’s your sweater?”

“Red. It matches my underwear, you see.”

“I think remember that underwear. I seem to remember you wearing it one morning, before I took it back off you again.”

“Yep - that’s the stuff I’m wearing. Oh, it’s cold in here now my sweater’s off. I’ll have to put the heat on.”

“Well, it’s getting hot in here.” Jon murmured, and Sara chuckled.

“You’ve got a dirty mind, Jon.”

“I know.” He said placidly. “What are you doing now?”

“Taking off my jeans. The ones you like - the ones that are too big for me and slide off without being unfastened. So now I need to go fill the tub.”

“Take the phone with you.”

“I can’t, baby. The cord isn’t long enough. I’m going to have to leave you for just a minute.”

“Hurry back.”

Sara was grinning as she laid the phone carefully on the bed and went into the bathroom, turning on the bath taps before coming back to the phone.

“Still there?”

“Where the hell else would I be?” Jon laughed. “I want to hear more about you getting naked over there.”

“Nothing else to tell, Jon. You know what I look like naked.”

“I know I do. That’s what makes it hard.”

“Makes what hard?” She asked innocently, and Jon had to laugh at the ingenuous question.

“Hard to be so far away from you, darlin’. What did you think I meant?”

“That’s what I thought you meant.” But they both knew better, and Sara was smiling as she spoke again. “Well, I’m afraid I’m going to have to love you and leave you, Jon. It sounds like the bath’s almost full, and I don’t want another hotel wondering how I managed to flood the bathroom!”

Remembering the episode in the tub at the Seiners, Jon laughed. “Okay, baby. This is one of those times I really do wish we had video calling, though. Go take your bath, and I’ll call you in a few hours, okay?”

“Okay, Jon. I love you.” The words came easier to Sara’s lips now, and she didn’t feel so mawkish telling Jon how she felt about him.

“Love you, too, sweetheart.”

Sara went off to enjoy a soak in the bath, and Jon took another stroll through the apartment before locking up and heading back to the house in Jersey. He and Dot had agreed that he’d still use the studio as and when he wanted, and since the guys were going to be there early Monday, he was still going to sleep at the house until then. Maybe tomorrow he’d bring the kids into the city, show them the apartment, though he knew his reasons were partly selfish - he didn’t want the kids asking to come see the apartment after the Habitat show. After the show, the only person he wanted coming back with him was Sara.

He knew that Dot and kids would be out, so he grabbed lunch on his way back, then when he got to the house he took some coffee outside, letting Copper run around in the gardens while he watched. It was sad knowing he’d have to leave the dog behind, but an apartment was no place for a dog who was used to space to play, and used to constant company. After a few hours, he called Sara, but it was a brief conversation as she was almost asleep when he called, and she sounded so tired that he cut the call short, letting her get some rest.

The next day, he did take the kids to the apartment, and after a thorough inspection they decided they liked it, which pleased Jon, meaning that the final minor hurdle now was for them to meet Sara.


In a different part of the city, Linda was - for her - having a leisurely start to the day, stumbling sleepily around the house barefoot, wrapped in a silk kimono as she tended to her pets - one elderly golden retriever and five demanding cats. It was only just after eight thirty, though, when the doorbell rang, and she wondered who the hell was at her door so early - it was Sunday, so it couldn’t be the mailman.

Peering through the peephole, all she could see was flowers, and when she asked who it was, a muffled voice replied that he had flowers for her. She checked that her kimono was cinched tightly shut, then opened the door. The bouquet was so large, she couldn’t even see the delivery guy, and she reached out both hands.

“Thanks. Do you need me to sign anything?”

“Naw - you’ve got an honest face.”

“You can’t even see my……..”

It suddenly dawned on Linda that the voice, no longer muffled through the door, sounded very familiar. She lowered the flowers as far as she could, looking over the blooms and seeing Richie’s glittering brown eyes.

Richie?! Oh my God! Richie! What are you doing here?”

“Making a delivery.” He grinned, then stepped forward slightly. “So - do I get a tip or something?”

“I guess so.” She teased. “Let me go find my purse.”

“No need.”

Richie leaned forward, over the flowers, to kiss her, and Linda stretched onto her tiptoes to meet him. The bouquet of flowers was in the way, though, and she pulled away, laying it down on the hall table then turning to Richie again.

“That’s better.” He growled, gathering her into his arms, his mouth now able to capture hers properly, and Linda was left in no doubt that he’d missed her as much as she’d missed him.

He was backing her toward the stairs when there was an unearthly shriek, and Linda jumped toward him again, reluctantly breaking the kiss to look down. An orange blur was streaking off toward the kitchen, and Linda called after it.

“Aw, Chino! Sorry baby.” She looked up at Richie. “I think I trod on his tail.”

“Poor little guy. You better apologise to him. Later, though. Right now, you’re mine.” He looked at the stairs. “Bedroom up there?”

Linda nodded with a smile, and Richie broke into that beaming grin, his eyes flashing at her as they headed on upstairs, Richie tugging on the belt of the kimono as they went.

1 comment:

MonzaBird said...

Words can not express how much i love this story! You're a great writer! Please keep up the good work!!