Thursday, January 24, 2008

Chapter 108

Later that day, after the guys had all left for their hotel again, Jon called Sara and they had a long rambling conversation about nothing in particular, just picking up on random words and straying off at oblique angles as things occurred to them. Jon did remember to tell Sara he’d arranged for a limo to collect her from Newark, to bring her straight to Wachovia Center.

“A limo?” She echoed. “Jon - I could just as easily get a cab.”

“I know you could, but this way the driver knows exactly where he’s going, and you’ll get no trouble with security - the driver will have a pass to get into the restricted areas.”

Sara giggled. “Restricted areas, huh? I want you in my ‘restricted areas’.”

“Well, hello naughty Sara.” Jon laughed. “I was starting to think you’d left her somewhere.”

“Oh, she’s always here. I just don’t let her out very often. Except with you.”

“Just you keep her for me, darlin’. I don’t want anybody else seeing her. Nobody else should get to see you like I do.”

“Are you getting all possessive on me?” Sara asked suspiciously.

“Maybe a little.” Jon admitted. “I guess it’s just the way I am, Sara. I’ve never thought about it - guess it’s been years since I’ve been this crazy about somebody. Does it bother you?”

“I actually don’t know. I don’t think so, so long as you don’t start going all jealous and paranoid on me, which doesn’t seem likely.” She thought again. “In a way, I kind of like it, Jon. I like that you want me for yourself.”

“I certainly do want you, Sara. I just miss you. Guess I should let you get some sleep, before your flight tomorrow.”

“I suppose. I won’t call you before my flight, just in case it jinxes things again, but I’ll call you when I land at Newark?”

“Okay. I don’t think a phone call would jinx anything, but I guess we’d better not take the chance, huh? If there are any problems, though, let me know. Otherwise, I’ll talk to you when you’re back on the right side of the Atlantic, and I’ll see you a couple of hours after that.”

“You’d better do more than just see me, baby.”

“Oh, I will. Trust me on that one. Now, go! Go to bed, Sara.”

“Ooh - getting all dominant now. I think I like that. Good night, Mr Bon Jovi.”

“Hussy! Good night, Miss Holland.”

Sara was smiling as she clicked her phone off. She was always amazed how just talking to Jon - just hearing his voice, really - could brighten her mood. Heading for the shower, she stopped suddenly as she realised she had a minor problem. The extra day meant she’d run out of clean clothes, so she quickly dug out a t shirt and underwear, to wash them through and leave them to dry overnight. She remembered seeing a few decent stores at the airport, so she’d pick up something there, so she could change before she went to see Jon. A smile crossed her face again as she remembered there was a very nice lingerie shop there, so she’d have to see what she could find. Even before she’d met Jon, and worried about anybody seeing her underwear, Sara had been a sucker for pretty, lacy things. Or should that be thongs?

Next morning, Sara ate a quick breakfast at the hotel, then boarded the bus back to the airport. The check in staff were very apologetic for the delay, but assured everybody that the aircraft was already on it’s way, and they’d be taking off as scheduled. Sara got rid of her bag - again - then headed for the shops she’d seen the day before. She picked out some underwear which took her fancy, and which she was pretty sure Jon would like, too, then found a few nice t shirts and tops in the other store before heading through security.

Today, everything went smoothly, with the flight loaded and taking off exactly on time, but this time Sara didn’t go to sleep - if there were any more problems, she wanted to know about them!


The first thing Jon did when he woke on Wednesday morning was power up his laptop. He wasn’t quite so technologically challenged as he liked to pretend - although he was very far from being expert, he was quite capable of finding his way around the internet. A relieved smile appeared on his face when he checked the Newark airport website, seeing Sara’s flight listed as on schedule for a one thirty arrival. Happy now, he shut down the laptop and headed for the shower.

Linda had quit work at lunchtime, and headed straight home to shower and get ready for the show. The dinner with her friends the previous night had been one of the hardest things she’d ever had to do. It really kinda sucked - seeing the man of her dreams, but not able to tell any of her close friends, but she knew it’d be worth it, just to see their faces at the show.

Leaving the Four Seasons for soundcheck, Richie sent Dave, Tico and Hugh off in one limo, taking another one himself and directing the driver to Linda’s house. He called Linda as they approached, and she was waiting outside as the limo drew up at her house. She started toward the car, and Richie opened the door from inside, leaning forward to grin at her.

“Hey, Linda. Ready to go?”

“Oh, yeah.”

Linda got in the back of the limo, and the driver moved off as soon as Richie slammed the door. By the time the wheels began to turn, though, Linda was tightly folded in Richie’s arms, their mouths rediscovering each other in a passionate hello kiss.

“You look beautiful.” Richie said as he finally released her.

“Thank you. So do you.” Linda grinned.

When they arrived at Wachovia Center, the limo driver took the car around to the back of the building, giving Linda her first experience of being admitted through the cordon of security which kept the band members separated from the public. She felt the tickle of nerves as the car pulled to a halt and she realised she was going to meet the rest of the band - Richie’s closest friends - for the first time. He must have sensed her apprehension at meeting people she’d been a fan of for so long, and he took her hand in a firm grip as he got out of the seat, pulling her from the car with him. Richie led her past a security guard, who stepped aside as soon as he recognised Richie, then down a maze of corridors, heading toward a closed door. He thumped a fist on the panel of the door as he yelled.

“You guys decent? I’m not bringing my lady in otherwise!”

Linda was still slightly stunned from Richie referring to her as ‘my lady’, when the door was yanked open from inside. A familiar mop of blond ringlets appeared as Dave stepped forward with a grin.

“You afraid she’ll jump ship if she sees me naked?” He asked Richie, who laughed uproariously.

“Nah - I’d be more afraid she’d run screaming from the building if you were naked. Linda - this is Dave. Dave - Linda.”

They shook hands, David instantly liking what he saw, and Linda feeling much more at ease now in the face of Dave’s wacky sense of humour.

“Nice to meet you.” She said softly, and Dave smiled as he kept hold of her hand, drawing her into the room.

“Good to meet the woman who’s put a smile back on that ugly mug.” He told her. “Hey, Tico! C’mere!”

Tico approached, and Linda was struck immediately by the latent power in that compact body. He took her hand out of Dave’s, gallantly kissing the back of her hand.

“Hi Linda. Nice to meet you.” His voice was as gravelly as she’d expected, having heard him sing once or twice, and she returned his greeting with a smile. Hugh came over, too, and the introductions were almost complete as Richie looked around.

“Where’s Jon?”

“Right here, Rich.” Came a voice from behind them as Jon walked into the room. He walked straight up to Linda with that wide, infectious grin.

“Hi, I’m Jon. Great to finally meet you, Linda. Richie’s been talking my ears off since he met you.”

He surprised Linda a little when he kissed her cheek along with the handshake, and now she knew her friends would kill her - not only was she seeing Richie, but Jon had just kissed her. She said hello to Jon, her voice remaining steady since she’d always really been a Richie girl, though she could certainly feel the magnetism of Jon’s personality, and the warmth of his smile tugged up the corners of her mouth automatically in response. Richie caught her hand and pulled her to his side again as he spoke to Jon.

“Any word from Sara?”

Jon shrugged. “She said she wasn’t going to call me before she left, just in case she jinxed the flight, but I checked and her flight’s on time, so she should be here about three thirty or four o’clock.”

“Great. So - d’you wanna eat first, or do you want to go straight for soundcheck?”

“Eat!” Tico and Dave chorused before Jon could answer, and he laughed.

“I guess we eat first.”

Richie led Linda to the back of the room, where there was a long table with a variety of dishes, and they grabbed some food and went to sit down. Linda was initially very nervous - she was sitting casually eating lunch with Bon Jovi, for chrissake! - but the banter of the five guys put her more at ease, and she enjoyed listening to Richie talk anyway. Partway through lunch, Jon’s phone rang, and he grinned when he read the display, excusing himself and walking away from the table to take the call.

“Hi baby.”

“Hi Jon. Well, I’m back on US soil, finally. Just got through immigration, so now I’m just looking for the car, I guess.”

“The driver should be in there, Sara.”

“Oh, I see him. Board with my name on - you think of everything, don’t you baby?”

“I try. So, I’ll see you in about two hours, then?”

“Traffic permitting, yes.” Her voice lowered slightly. “God, I need you, Jon. These past couple of weeks have been so hard.”

“I know, darlin’, but you’re home now, and I’ll see you real soon.”

As they ended the call, Jon returned to the table, seeing the wide grins on the faces of all the guys. Even Linda had a soft smile on her lips.

“I guess that was Sara, then?” Richie asked, and Jon nodded, still grinning.

“Yeah. She’s back - should be here in a couple of hours.”

No comments: