Friday, February 8, 2008

Chapter 125

Jon had taken a seat inside the café, facing the door so he’d see Sara come in, and the drinks had just been delivered to the table when Sara pushed through the door, looking around for him. He raised a hand, smiling automatically when he saw her smile bloom as she saw him. Sara came across to the table, sitting opposite Jon with a grin.

“Sooooo…………what did you buy, then?” Jon asked, gesturing at the third bag, but Sara shook her head.

“Wait and see.”

“Well,” Jon muttered, “I hope you didn’t waste money on panties, ‘cause you know I’ll be ripping them off you later.”

Sara flushed at that comment, but made no response, just took a long sip of her coke as Jon chuckled at her embarrassment. Before either of them could speak again, Sara’s cellphone rang, and she dug it out of her purse, looking at the display.

“Paul.” She told Jon, then answered the call. “Hi Paul.”

“Hey boss. You got back, then. I was starting to think you’d decided not to come back.”

“Yeah - only a day later than scheduled, so I went straight to Jon’s concert yesterday. Anybody looking for me?”

“Nope. Well, nobody who can’t wait until you’re back in here. Good trip?”

“Mm-hm. I’ll be back in tomorrow, Paul, but probably not until the afternoon. I need to go home, see if my house is still standing!”

“Okay, Sara. Just wanted to check you were back safely. Only interesting thing that arrived for you was a copy of the magazine that changed your life.”

“The what?”

Paul chuckled. “The magazine you were doing the shots for when you met Jon. The article’s been published, and they sent you a copy.”

“Oh, right. I wondered what you meant. Any good?”

“The pictures look great, yeah. If you ever decide to come back to the studio you’ll see!”

“I’ll be in tomorrow.” Sara looked across at Jon, swatting at his hand as she caught him trying to open the bag from the lingerie store. “I have to go. Bye Paul.” She clicked off the call, then looked sternly at Jon. “Hey! No peeking!”

“Sorry, darlin’. I don’t like waiting! Not used to it.”

“Well, this should be good practice for you then.” Sara pulled the bag a little further from his reach, and Jon settled back into his seat with a theatrical sigh.

“Do magazines send you copies of what they’ve published about you?” She asked.

“Sometimes, why?”

“Paul said that the article had been published - the one I was doing the photos for when we met. They’ve sent me a copy. He said the photos looked good, but I don’t even know which ones they used.”

“If you took them, they’ll look good. I’ll come to the studio with you tomorrow.”

“Don’t you have stuff to do?”

“Babe - you should know - one of the perks of being the boss is that you set your own schedule.”

“Sometimes, yeah. Okay - but I want to go home first, dump my stuff and check the house. Can we do that?”

“Sure. We’ll get a cab to your place, then you can drive to the studio.” He grinned. “I like having a chauffeur. Or a chauffeuse I guess.”

“What? You have a thing for girls in uniform?”

Jon just laughed, leering at her with a nod. Once they’d finished their drinks, they left the café and caught a cab back to the apartment building, then Jon headed for the kitchen while Sara went to hang up her new dress. By the time she joined him in the kitchen, Jon had a fresh pot of coffee brewing, and when there was enough in the pot, he poured a couple of mugs.

“How long will it take to get to the restaurant?” Sara asked.

“That time of night, probably only about fifteen minutes I guess. You’ve plenty of time to get ready, babe.”

Glancing at her watch, Sara decided Jon was right, and they sat down to drink their coffee, taking positions on adjacent couches, each stretching their legs out on the cushions. While they sat, Sara ran a hand through her hair, wondering whether she’d be able to pin it up securely or if it was too soft. When her coffee was gone, she stood up from the couch and stretched, Jon lazily watching as her t shirt rode up to expose her stomach.

“I’m going to go shower and get ready.” Sara said as she relaxed.

“Want me to scrub your back?”

“Would we make it out of the apartment if you did?”

“Probably not.” Jon laughed. “You go, baby. I’ll be along in a few, but I’ll let you shower in peace.”

By the time Jon came through to the bedroom, Sara was showered and dressed in her black dragon robe, standing in front of a mirror as she pinned her hair up. Jon pressed soft lips to the nape of her neck, but carried on through to the shower. When he came back into the room, Sara had most of her long hair pinned into a chignon, with the trailing ends curled and pinned in a tangle of waves and ringlets. She was applying a light touch of makeup as Jon walked over to the closet for his clothes.

“Your hair looks gorgeous like that.” He said as he passed, and Sara smiled at him in the mirror.

“Thanks, Jon.”

Jon dressed in a midnight blue - almost black - suit with a crisp, plain white shirt while Sara took her dress through into the dressing room which was off the bathroom. She emerged from the dressing room carrying her robe, and slipped her feet into the silver shoes, adding inches to her height. Jon turned around to look at her, giving a low wolf-whistle of approval.

“I really shoulda gone for the private room.” He murmured as he gazed at her, lust kindling in his eyes. “Let’s get out of here, before I forget I’m trying to be a gentleman.”

Sara giggled at that, then stopped suddenly in the middle of the floor. “Damn.”

“What’s wrong?”

“I just realised. I got shoes for this dress, but I don’t have a purse, and I really don’t think I can use my usual big bag!”

“Well, you don’t need to bring anything except yourself, so I guess you don’t need one.” Jon said.

“I’ll feel naked.” Sara protested, and now Jon grinned.

“And I’ll feel you naked, later, but right now we’re going for dinner!”

With a smile, Sara relented, and they left the apartment hand in hand. Downstairs, a car was waiting for them, which Jon had arranged when he booked the restaurant. The driver already knew their destination, so they just got into the back of the black sedan and the chauffeur closed the door and went around to his own seat. Sitting in the backseat, Jon lightly stroked Sara’s knee, feeling the fine layer of nylon which wrapped her legs. When his fingers crept higher, he could feel a lacy band high on her thigh, and the brief sweep higher that he managed before she caught his wrist reached smooth, warm skin beyond the stocking top.

“Now I can’t wait to get you out of that dress.” Jon whispered close into Sara’s ear, and she giggled, the laugh fading into a gasp as he surreptitiously flicked his tongue just inside her ear.

“Stoppit.” She whispered sternly, and Jon moved away from her with a smirk.

When they reached the restaurant, Sara saw that it was one of those high-priced places, popular with the very wealthy, with the usual assortment of paparazzi loitering outside, just in case somebody news-worthy turned up to dine. She still wasn’t keen on having her photograph taken, but she was enough of a realist to know, if she was going to see someone like Jon, she’d have to get used to it. Exiting the car, though, she was shocked to hear photographers not only yelling Jon’s name, but also one or two yelling ‘Sara!’. The firm grip of Jon’s hand on hers kept her steady, and they obligingly stood together for a few pictures before heading on inside.

“You getting used to the whole paparazzi thing now?” Jon asked as they walked in, and Sara shook her head.

“Not really. But I know if I’m with you, it’s going to happen, and I don’t want to embarrass you. I can handle it.”

“I know you can.” The smirk he gave told Sara he wasn’t talking about the photographers, and she smirked back at him. “I love you, Sara. You do know that, right?”

“Of course I do. I love you, too.” They were led to their table, Jon nodding familiarly at a few other diners, and a few pairs of eyes following them as people checked out Jon’s new lady, then as they were seated, Sara gave a sigh which made Jon look at her enquiringly.

“You okay?”

“Mmmmm. I was just thinking. I should really call my parents, let them know I’m……..seeing somebody…….before they see it somewhere else.”

“Probably a good idea, sweetheart. I’ll have to let my mom know, too. Maybe we should take a weekend in Florida, go see her and my dad. What do you think?”

“I think I’m terrified they’ll hate me, for breaking up your marriage, but I’d like to meet them anyway.”

“Hey!” Jon reached over the table to grab her hand. “You didn’t break up my marriage, darlin’, and I don’t want you thinking that way. I honestly don’t know what would’ve happened with us if Dot and I hadn’t split anyway. I guess - for once - my timing was perfect. I found a wonderful woman just when I needed her the most.” He squeezed her fingers gently. “And every day I’m with you, I need you more.”

“Don’t make me cry.” Sara said softly. “I’ll end up with mascara like Alice Cooper.”

The emotional moment was broken as a waiter brought them menus, taking Jon’s order of wine, with juice for Sara, then leaving them to peruse the menu.

“The oysters here are fantastic.” Jon told her.

“Ewww. I don’t like the idea of putting something in my mouth that’s still alive.”

“I beg to differ.” Jon smirked, and Sara blushed bright red as he continued. “They’re supposed to be an aphrodisiac anyway.”

“You’re terrible, Jon. But the only aphrodisiac I need is sitting right across the table from me.”

“That mouth of yours is dangerous in so many ways.” Jon murmured softly, and Sara licked her lips involuntarily, hearing his breath hiss through his teeth as he watched her.

They ordered dinner, and savoured the delicious meal, their soft conversation occasionally edging into more provocative topics, the building sexual tension adding spice to the evening. By the time they were ready to leave, Jon’s mind was buzzing from the verbal foreplay and from the wine, his thoughts racing ahead to their return to the apartment and the delights yet to come. Sara was still dead sober, but her own thoughts were no less erotic, and the touch of Jon’s hand on hers was enough to make her shiver slightly. As they left the restaurant, Jon turned to look at her, seeing the light flush on her throat, reading her mind accurately and wondering just how amenable she was feeling, if maybe tonight he could fulfil the fantasy she’d told him about.

No comments: