Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chapter 130

Jon couldn’t resist the cheeky smile on her face as she spoke, and he twisted around to kiss her, his fingers sliding under her shirt to caress her flank. Sara gave a soft moan as she opened her mouth to his, letting Jon lean her back in the couch, pressing her hard into the cushions as he started to raise her shirt. His hand dipped into the cup of her bra, feeling the heat of her skin and her instant reaction to his touch, her nipple hardening against his palm. Sara’s fingers stroked down to his waist, then lower, rubbing him lightly through the denim until Jon groaned. Just then, they heard the unmistakable sound of a key in the lock, as Paul obviously made as much noise as possible letting himself back into the studio. By the time he opened the door, they were sitting chastely side by side, looking through the photos, the magazine laid across Jon’s lap to camouflage the swelling at his groin.

“Oh, hi, Paul.” Sara called casually, astonishing Jon with her nonchalantly poised attitude, reminding him just how much better women really were at concealing things.

“Hey, Sara. Jon. I got food - I’ll put it in the kitchen, okay?”

“Great, thanks.”

When Paul disappeared from view again, Sara giggled and lifted the magazine, peeking underneath.

“Maybe I’ll go get you some food.” She suggested, her fingers sneaking under the pages to touch him again, and Jon growled at her.

“You’re gonna be the death of me, you know that? Go! Get me some food, woman!”

“What if I don’t?” She giggled again, continuing in a whisper. “You going to tie me up again?”

“Nah……you’d enjoy that too much. I’m sure I could think of something appropriate, though.”

Grinning, Sara headed for the kitchen, fixing two plates of food while talking to Paul, then taking the food back through to where Jon still sat, now reading a newspaper which had been on the coffee table. With a ‘thank you, baby’, Jon took his plate, and Sara sat down beside him, Paul taking the chair, and the three of them ate lunch while chatting about the magazine photos. Jon listened as Sara and Paul - the two professionals - picked holes in the composition of some of the other shots in the magazine, thinking how - in a way - they sounded like him and Richie when they were talking about songs.

During a lull in conversation, Jon had an idea, and after a moment’s consideration, he voiced his thought.

“Sara - would you photograph my kids? I mean, here, as a paid commission.”

“Of course I’ll photograph them - but you don’t need to pay me, babe. I’m doing good - just bring them over when you can and I’ll take whatever photos you like.” Her eyes lost focus for a second as she thought. “Actually, what might be nice is a black and white of you with the kids, for your apartment. For the bedroom, instead of that other one you wanted.”

“Oh, no. I like the idea, but I still want that other photo. Hell, the bedroom’s big enough for two photos, darlin’.”

Sara sighed - she’d hoped to change his mind about the photo of her, but it sounded as though his mind was set.

“Oh-kay.” She said grudgingly, rolling her eyes.

Just as Sara was about to speak again, her cellphone rang, and she picked it up, pursing her lips as she looked at the display.

“It’s my mom. I forgot to call them when we were at the house.” She got to her feet, finishing her thought just before she answered the call. “I’ll take this through in the other room. Could be a while.”

Jon caught her fingers as she passed, squeezing gently and giving her an encouraging smile, and Sara smiled back as she put the phone to her ear.

“Hi mom. How are you?”

Listening to the answer, Sara walked through into the dressing room, closing the door and sitting on the bed while her mom brought her up to date on their travels. After a few minutes, though, her mother realised that Sara was unusually quiet.

“Sara? What’s wrong, honey? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, mom. In fact, I’m fantastic. I’m……” Sara drew a deep breath before she carried on, knowing how her parents had despaired of her ever getting together with somebody. “I’m seeing someone - I’ve been seeing him for a little while now. I was going to call you, to tell you about him, but I never seem to have had the time to explain it all.”

“Well, I’m listening now, Sara. What is there to explain?”

Sara decided to lay some groundwork before she blurted out who she was seeing, and she picked nervously at a thread on the cover as she spoke.

“Not explain really, mom, just seems as though a lot’s happened very fast.” God, Sara thought - I feel like I’m a kid again, trying to explain myself! “I met him through work, and there was just something there right away. He just split up with his wife, and…...”

“Because of you?” Her mother asked sharply.

“No! Not because of me, mom. In fact, his wife was cheating on him before I met him - he just didn’t know.”

“Does he have any kids?”

“Yes.” Sara said quietly. “He’s got four kids, mom, and they’re lovely. His wife - soon to be ex-wife - is actually pretty nice, too - I met them all the other day.”

“You met his wife and kids. Sounds very cosy.” Her mom sounded pissed, and Sara couldn’t stop herself snapping.

“Mom - I thought you’d be happy for me. That I’ve finally found someone who likes me for who I am, but all you’re doing is looking for faults. I know he has his faults, but I………” To hell with it, she decided. “I love him, mom, and I’m going to be with him as long as he still wants me around. He loves me, too.”

“How do you know that? His wife probably thought he loved her.”

“I know it because he told me. I know it because we had a fight, and he came to find me, to apologise and make things right. He flew all the way to England to say he was sorry he’d hurt me. Is that good enough for you?”

Sara’s mom blinked in surprise at the other end of the call. She’d never known Sara speak so vehemently about anything, and she relented as she accepted her daughter was old enough to know her own mind.

“I’m sorry, Sara. I didn’t mean to pick a fight with you. Of course I’m happy you’ve found somebody, sweetie. Of course I am. Just a bit of a surprise is all. So, what’s his name then?”

“Jon.”

“Okay. Does John have a last name?”

Here we go, thought Sara, bracing herself for whatever reaction she got. “Of course he does, mom. Bon Jovi.”

“Sorry?”

“Bon Jovi, mom. As in the rock band Bon Jovi. That’s his name - Jon Bon Jovi. It’s his band.”

“You’re not joking, are you?” Her mom asked flatly.

“No, mom, I’m not. He came to the studio for a shoot and, well, we got talking, and…….”

“…and you decided it would be a good idea to become a rock star’s one night stand - some kind of groupie.”

“Actually, no.” Sara hit back immediately. “I wasn’t even thinking that far ahead. I just wanted him, and he wanted me, which is a first. I decided - just once - to not think, and to do what I felt like, regardless of how anybody would see it. And, you know something, mom? I still don’t care what anybody else thinks. I love Jon, he loves me - end of story. If you can’t be happy for me, then I guess we’ll just have to live with it. Now,” Sara could feel tears prickling behind her eyes, “I guess I should go. I’m at the studio, and I’m sure you have things to do, places to go.”

“Sara, wait. I’m sorry. Try to see it from my side for a second - you just sprang this on me, and I guess I’m just surprised. Please don’t be angry - call me later, and we’ll talk properly. I am happy for you - I just need to get my head around this. I’ll say one thing - he’s made you stronger, Sara. Maybe next time we’re back that side of the country we should meet him.”

“Sure. I think we’re going out to Florida soon, to see Jon’s parents, so just let me know when you’ll be around.”

Sara spoke casually, but deep inside she was angry - angry that her mom, the one person who’d always supported her, was being this way about something so important. She kept her voice steady as she said goodbye, toying with an empty mug which lay on the small table. Ending the call, she carefully closed her cellphone and laid it on the bed, looking down at the mug in her hand, then in a sudden spasm of rage, she hurled it across the room, the ceramic shattering as it hit the wall.

Out in the main studio, Jon and Paul both jumped off their seats as they heard the crash, followed by a more ominous silence. Paul looked at Jon, then gestured toward the dressing room, leaving Jon to go see what had happened.

Jon walked quickly across to the door, knocking softly.

“Sara? Are you okay?” He pushed the door open, finding Sara sitting on the bed, staring at the floor. “Baby - what’s wrong? Is everything okay with your parents?”

“Huh?” She turned to look at him blankly. “Oh. Yeah, they’re fine. Just, well, I guess I kind of expected mom to be happy for me. My mistake.” With a visible effort, Sara shook off the despondency, turning a bright - and patently fake - smile on Jon. “Sorry, Jon. I guess she was just surprised to hear I was actually seeing somebody - especially when I told her who. She obviously never expected to hear I’d found somebody who actually liked me. I’ll talk to her later.”

She got off the bed and headed for the door, avoiding Jon’s eyes until he caught her hand and pulled her toward him, tipping up her chin so she had to meet his gaze.

“What?” He asked softly, seeing the hurt look deep in her eyes.

“Nothing.”

“Don’t bullshit me, beautiful. Talk to me.” Jon hugged her, still looking in her eyes.

Sara sighed, relaxing in Jon’s arms, and he watched the taut smile fade into a more genuine one as she slipped her arms around his waist.

“I’m fine, baby.” She said, and this time - now - Jon believed her. “I was just a bit upset that mom didn’t seem to be happy for me - when she thought I’d become a groupie or something. I’m good, really.” Her smile broadened. “A kiss would help, though.”

Jon dipped his head to kiss her, his lips caressing hers, and Sara drew strength from him, knowing deep in her heart that this was right. When they drew apart, her eyes were wet with tears, but Jon knew they were joyful tears, because he felt the same way, and he tenderly kissed away the teardrops as Sara smiled at him.

No comments: