Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Chapter 132

Sara locked up the studio and they headed downstairs. As they emerged on the street, Sara’s cellphone rang, and she grimaced as she read the display.

“It’s my mom again.” She said apologetically, and Jon grinned.

“Let me?” He held out his hand, and Sara paused for a second then shrugged and handed him the phone with a grin of her own, watching as Jon punched the button to take the call.

“Hello.”

“Uh……I think I have a wrong number, sor…..”

“No,” Jon interrupted before her mom could ring off. “This is Sara’s phone. Is that Mrs Holland?”

“Ye-es…….is Sara okay?”

Jon and Sara got into the car as he spoke.

“Yeah, she’s fine. She’s driving, that’s all. I guess I should introduce myself - I’m Jon. Nice to speak to you.”

“Is Sara avoiding me?”

“Huh? Oh, no - here.” Jon held the phone toward Sara. “Babe - your mom wants to know if you’re okay.”

“Hi mom. I’m fine - Jon just grabbed the call because I’m driving. Can I call you later?” She bit on her lip as she saw Jon shaking his head slowly, grinning. “Actually, tomorrow might be better. I think I may be tied up later.”

Jon fought back the snort of laughter that tried to burst through at Sara’s words, then he heard her say goodbye to her mom and brought the phone back to his own ear, wanting to try to allay the woman’s reservations.

“Hello? Still there, Mrs Holland?”

“I’m here.” There was a mild note of warning in the woman’s voice. “I hope you’re treating my daughter well. She deserves it.”

“I know she does. Please believe me - you do not need to worry about that. I should probably tell you that I love your daughter, and I’m hoping she’ll stay with me for a very long time. My wife and I are divorcing, but we’re using grounds of separation, to make things easier for our children, but once everything’s final…..” Jon cut his eyes across to Sara, seeing her focused on the road as she drove them back to her house, “…..when the divorce is final, I hope Sara will agree to marry me.”

With difficulty, Sara controlled the swerve that those words produced, taking her eyes off the road completely as she looked over at Jon, open-mouthed. Smiling at her, he stretched his free hand to hold the steering wheel, holding the car straight until she recovered her poise and turned her attention to the road again, just glancing at him occasionally, the smile on her lips an encouragement to Jon’s intentions.

At the other end of the line, Sara’s mom thought that he sounded sincere enough, and her earlier shocked reaction had settled into acceptance of Sara’s decision.

“I’d best go.” She said to Jon. “Tell Sara I love her, and I’m happy for her - for you both. I look forward to meeting you, Jon. Bye.”

“Bye, Mrs Holland.” Jon clicked off the call and looked over at Sara. “Your mom said to tell you she loves you. She also said she’s happy for us.”

“Really? I’m glad you didn’t mention I almost ran us off the road.”

“I guess you were surprised. But I was serious, baby. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you - once Dot and I are divorced - will you marry me?”

“Jon - right now, my heart is saying yes, of course yes, but there’s a long time before you’re in a position to make that kind of decision. Ask me again when you’re a free man.”

Her smile softened the words, and Jon reached to caress her thigh. “Okay, darlin’. Just know that I’ll be asking you again, soon as we’re legal!”

Sara brought her own hand down onto his, squeezing his fingers gratefully for a moment as she drove the last few miles to her house. Jon’s hand still rested on her thigh when Sara brought both hands onto the wheel again, his fingers stroking against her, gradually easing higher on her leg.

“You really do want me to run off the road, don’t you?” Sara asked as his fingertips slipped deep between her thighs, brushing against the crotch of her jeans.

“Sorry.” He said unconvincingly, moving his hand up onto her leg again.

Before she reached her street, Sara turned to look at Jon.

“Are you hungry?”

“Oh, yeah. I can’t wait to get you home.”

“Not what I meant, baby. Food-hungry. We could pick up a pizza on the way - Sam’s is just around the corner here.”

“Good idea. Energy food.” His hand tightened on her thigh. “We’re gonna need it.”

“Pizza it is, then.” Sara chuckled, turning down the street to the restaurant.

When they reached the restaurant, they could see Sam was inside, so Jon jumped out of the car with Sara, both of them heading inside.

“Sara! Jon! Great to see you.” Sam hugged Sara, kissing her cheek, then hugged Jon too. “How are you both? You’re looking good anyway. Happy.”

“We are.” Jon said, looking at Sara as though for confirmation, grinning when she nodded and echoed his words.

“Good.” Sam looked over into the restaurant, seeing a few empty tables. “Did you want a table?”

“Actually, we just wanted a pizza, to go.” Sara said.

“Of course. What can I get you?”

“A large……..what do you want, Jon?”

Sam averted his eyes with a grin as Sara blushed when Jon just smirked at her.

“You know I’ll eat just about anything.” He said, winking at her, and Sara flushed brighter before she turned back to Sam.

“In that case, make it a large lobster pizza.”

Jon grinned his approval at Sara’s choice - unknowingly, she’d picked out one of his favourite pizza toppings.

“Not a problem. Grab a seat, have a drink, and it’ll be ready in fifteen minutes or so.”

As he headed for the kitchen, Sam waved at his bartender, indicating he should give Sara and Jon drinks on the house, and they hopped onto stools to wait for the pizza.

“You’re going to be the death of me!” Sara hissed. “Saying things like that in public.”

“Could be worse, darlin’. What was it you called me before? Wizzywig?”

“Yeah.”

When the bartender came over, they both asked for coffee, and he brought it then left them in peace.

“So, is it okay if I tell my mom we’ll be down this weekend?” Jon asked.

“Fine with me. I mean, fine in a terrifying and nerve-wracking and oh-my-god-what-do-I-say-to-them way, but fine!”

“Great. I’ll arrange for the plane, then I’ll let mom know. We could fly down Saturday morning, see them in the afternoon. Maybe head out for dinner somewhere nice at night.” Jon grinned suddenly. “Or we could just have room service……..”

“Room service sounds good.” Sara smiled back. “Do you realise I’ve been out more times since I met you than I have in the last year?”

“I can’t help it. I like to show you off.” As he said it, Jon realised how that might sound. “I mean, I like being out with you - not that I’m showing you off like some kind of trophy!”

“I think I knew that. I’m not exactly the trophy type, am I?”

“Damn right you are. My little wildcat trophy. And, you know the best thing about a trophy?”

“No.”

Jon grinned wickedly, putting a knot in Sara’s belly and a rush of heat between her thighs. “Best thing about a trophy is mounting it.”

Sara laughed, and Sam came back carrying two boxes in time to catch her giggling helplessly.

“What’s the joke?” He asked, grinning.

“Oh, nothing.” Jon said, chuckling softly himself. “We were just talking about……ummm…..hunting.”

“Hunting. Okay, I don’t think I wanna know!” Sam shook his head and held out the boxes. “Here you go. One large pizza, and a little something extra for you, Sara.”

“What is………….oooh…….chocolate cake?”

“Yeah. Chocolate cake.” Sam grinned.

“Oh, I love you!” Sara squealed, hugging him, much to Jon’s amusement.

“I’ve always said it.” Jon muttered jokingly. “You’re fickle, darlin’ - anything for chocolate.”

“Absolutely. You’re just as bad.” She reminded him, and now Jon coloured slightly as he remembered their escapade with the chocolate torte.

They gathered up the boxes and Sara handed Sam some money, over both his and Jon’s protests. He refused to take any money for the cake, but reluctantly allowed her to pay him for the pizza, then they said their goodbyes and headed for the car.

Jon held the boxes on his lap, getting a slap on the back of one hand when he raised the lid to try to sneak a slice before they got home.

“Hey!” He protested. “I’m hungry!”

“So am I - don’t want you eating it all! Anyway, we’re here now.”

Sara parked up and they went into the house, not even getting as far as the kitchen, just flipping the box open on the coffee table and each grabbing a slice. While Sara tried to pick pieces of green pepper off her slice - Sam had obviously forgotten she didn’t like them - Jon just folded his slice in half and took a huge bite, munching happily.

“D’you want a drink?” Sara asked as she finished picking at her pizza, and Jon just nodded, mouth full of pizza.

Taking her pizza with her, Sara went into the kitchen, returning a few minutes later with two glasses of coke, and a half-slice of pizza gripped in her teeth. Jon was on his second slice already, and between them they polished off the whole pizza in record time.

“Damn, that was good.” Jon finally groaned, feeling full enough to burst.

“Uh-huh. I’m sooooo full though……..I don’t even have room for cake right now!”

“Jesus! Are you feeling okay?” He joked, and Sara slapped at his arm without venom.

“No. I feel like I just ate half a giant pizza. Oh, wait. I did.” She giggled.

Sated and drowsy, they cuddled together on the couch, Sara just managing to grab the remote and flick on some music as Jon pulled her close.

“This feels so good.” Jon murmured sleepily. “Just sitting here with my baby, listening to Hendrix.”

“It does, doesn’t it.” Sara agreed, then chuckled as Wind Cries Mary started on the CD. “But now I don’t like Hendrix playing that - and it’s your fault.”

“Yeah. Sorry ‘bout that.”

Comfortable together, they drifted into silence, then into sleep.

4 comments:

Aus Lil Devil said...

Hi Angel,
I've only recently discovered fanfics and have been wondering why the hell I haven't come across them before!! I'm absolutely smitten with Jon Bon Jovi and I'm loving your story so much that I've read it non-stop from start to finish. Please, keep up the good work. I will be dropping in regularly to see what you've come up with next!
Loving you down-under........in Australia that is, lol!!
Cheers :o)

MonzaBird said...

Like I've said before, I love how you write. I'm looking forward to next chapters :)

Angel said...

LOL "aus lil devil"....glad you like.......your comment reminded me of that joke about an 'Australian' kiss....same as a French kiss, but 'down under'! ahem

Kiwigirljbj said...

Hey from another one downunder! LOL, From New Zealand this time. Love your story, can't put it down and really enjoying it!

LOL, hmmmm, not actually ever heard that saying before, Aussie kiss, but hmmm, lol, won't think of it again in the same light!! LOL