Sunday, February 17, 2008

Chapter 134

Next morning, in a different part of the city, Richie and Linda were trying - unsuccessfully - to stave off the moment of parting, even though they knew there was a car waiting outside. Richie knew his own nature, knew that when he fell, he fell hard, the way he had with Heather, and he could feel the same exhilaration when he was with Linda. He just worried that she wouldn’t feel the same way, but he figured - knowing she was a fan of the band - that Linda already knew he wore his heart on his sleeve, even when that heart was being publicly broken. As she walked past, trying to keep busy, to not think about his leaving, Richie caught Linda’s hand, stopping her in her tracks. With a gentle pressure, he pulled her to sit beside him on the couch.

“Lin, I wanna ask you something.”

“Okay……..what is it?”

“Well - now, just hear me out, before you say anything, ‘k?”

Linda nodded, not sure what to expect now. Richie looked into her eyes, trying to convey his sincerity, but really just making it hard for Linda to concentrate, with those soulful brown eyes gazing at her that way.

“First off,” Richie began, “you’re very, very special to me. But the problem is that I have to live out in California, to be near Ava, and I won’t ask you to get by on a relationship that’s just snatched weekends whenever we can.”

Linda’s mind - and heart - had screeched to a halt with the word ‘relationship’, and she struggled to catch up to what Richie was saying now.

“So, what are you saying, Richie?”

“I’m saying, well, I guess…….” Richie took a breath, then gathered his courage and jumped in with both feet. “I’m saying, will you quit your job - or even just take a few months’ sabbatical to begin with - and come live with me in LA? Will you give this - give us - a chance?”

As what he’d just said sank in, Linda’s mouth fell open. This, she hadn’t seen coming. She’d thought he was trying to find a diplomatic way of saying goodbye to her for good. She made herself close her mouth, looking over at Richie, realising for the first time that there was a glow starting to show in his eyes again. A spark of joy that had been absent since his troubles with Heather began. Linda knew she had to say something, try to form an answer, but the question was so huge that she couldn’t even think clearly yet.

“I……..uh………wow!” She managed, smiling a little shakily.

Richie grinned at her, knowing he had a fighting chance, since she hadn’t rejected the idea out of hand.

“I know.” He said quietly. “It’s a big thing to ask. Cody and the cats…………aw, hell, that sounds like some band from the seventies or something!” They both laughed. “Do they travel okay? I mean, would they settle?”

Strangely, it was that question, more than the ‘wanna move in with me?’ that brought tears to Linda’s eyes. The fact that Richie understood how important her furry children were to her, and didn’t mind, was even concerned that they’d be happy if they were uprooted to the other side of the country. Richie looked horrified when he saw a tear creep over her lashes, falling to her cheek.

“Hey - I didn’t mean to make you sad, girl.” He said softly, taking both her hands, his long fingers folding effortlessly around her wrists.

“I’m not sad, Richie.” Linda whispered. “I’m……….I guess I’m kind of overwhelmed. It’s such a big step to take - moving all the way across to the West coast.”

“I know. I know, darlin’, but I also remember you saying how we were both old enough to know what we want, and I know I want you.”

“I did say that, didn’t I?” Linda tried to corral her unruly thoughts, to think of the best thing to do, to think what she really wanted. The only answer her mind kept screaming at her was ‘yes’, but her responsibilities here, with work and mortgage, were weighing on her mind, and she tried to explain to him. “I’m not saying ‘no’, Richie, but can you give me a couple of days to think this through? I need to talk to my boss, find out what protocols we have in place for taking long-term leave. I also need to figure out what to do about this place.” She gestured vaguely around the room.

“I understand, Linda. I really do. You have a life here, and I’m asking you to walk away from that.” He gave an almost nervous smile. “Can I ask one thing, though? I’m not putting the pressure on, but - forget for a second about whether you can or you should. Do you want to live with me?”

“Yes.” Linda said without hesitation, and now Richie gave that infectious grin.

“That’s all I need to hear, girl. The rest, we can figure out as we go.”

He pulled her toward him, tenderly kissing her lips as he still held her hands, then they drew apart, both smiling.

“I have to go.” He said apologetically. “Call me, though, when you’ve made a decision. I’ll call you anyway, once I get home, ‘cause I’ll need to hear your voice.”

They kissed again, then Richie got off the couch and grabbed his bag and the battered straw cowboy hat he’d brought back from the show. Jamming the hat on, he gave her another sparkling grin, then he was gone.

As he climbed into the car, Richie looked up at the window, grinning as he saw three of the cats lined up on the cill watching him. The grin broadened automatically when he saw Linda step up to the window, smiling at him as she raised a hand to wave goodbye. Richie returned the wave, then blew her a kiss before closing the car door.

Inside the house, Linda sat down again, her mind racing as she tried to think. Coherent thought escaped her, though, and her mind just kept going back to Richie’s words. Her attempts at decision making were blown completely apart, though, when her phone rang, and she gave up, answering the phone and putting her mind on hold.

“Hello?”

“Hey Linda - it’s Tara.”

“How you doing? Where are you?”

“Well, I have to head home tonight, and I wondered if you wanted to have lunch before we go. I mean, if you’re not busy with your new man.”

“No. He just left. Why don’t you guys come over here? We can talk better here than in public.”

“So does that mean you’re going to give us all the juicy details, then?”

“Maybe. I actually need to get a second opinion on something, though, and I guess you girls are the best ones to ask.”

“Now you’ve got me interested.” Tara laughed. “We’ll be over in an hour, give or take.”

“Okay. I’ll see you soon. Bring wine. Lots of wine!”

No comments: